Marriage License Requirements
Marriage is a beautiful journey that starts with a legal process – obtaining a marriage license. If you’re planning to tie the knot in Sonoma County, California, it’s essential to understand the intricacies of marriage license fees, requirements, and other pertinent details. In this article, we’ll walk you through the process, ensuring you’re well-prepared for your big day.
Getting married in Sonoma County, California, is an exciting journey that starts with obtaining a marriage license. This legal document serves as the foundation for your marriage, making it crucial to understand the requirements, fees, and procedures associated with it.
Marriage License Application Process
Personal Identification Requirements
Before a marriage license can be issued, both individuals, referred to as the First Person and Second Person, must present valid photo identification with their date of birth listed. Accepted forms of identification include a driver’s license, military I.D., passport, or green card. If using a credencial para votar or Consulate ID, a birth certificate must also be provided.
Recent Divorce or State Registered Domestic Partnership
If either party has undergone a divorce or State Registered Domestic Partnership termination within the past 90 days, a copy of the final judgment must be submitted.
Completing the Application Online
While it’s preferable to complete the marriage license application online, both parties must appear together in person for the license to be issued. For those without internet access, the application can be completed at a public kiosk in the Clerk’s Office.
Types of Marriage Licenses in California
Public Marriage License
A public marriage license is available for public viewing and access.
Confidential Marriage License
A confidential marriage license safeguards personal information from public view. Only spouses or court orders can access the information.
Information Required on a Marriage License Application
Valid Photo I.D. Requirements
Both parties require a valid photo I.D. (driver’s license, military I.D., passport, etc.) with their date of birth listed.
Requirements for a Confidential Marriage License
To obtain a Confidential Marriage License, both parties must be living together as a married couple.
Marriage Waiting Period and Residency Requirement
There is no waiting period for obtaining a marriage license in California. Additionally, you do not need to be a California resident to marry in Sonoma County.
Marriage License Fees in California
For a public marriage license, the fee is $82. If you opt for a confidential marriage license, the fee is $98. Payment can be made with cash, checks, or credit/debit cards, with an additional $2.50 convenience fee for card use.
Obtaining a marriage license is a crucial step on your journey to marital bliss. By understanding the process, requirements, and fees associated with marriage licenses in Sonoma County, California, you’ll be well-prepared for your special day.
- Can I apply for a marriage license online? Yes, the marriage license application can be completed online, but both parties must appear in person for the license to be issued.
- What is the difference between a public and confidential marriage license? A public marriage license is available for public viewing, while a confidential marriage license protects personal information from public access.
- Is there a waiting period for marriage licenses in California? No, there is no waiting period. You’ll receive your marriage license immediately after submitting your application.
- Do I need to be a California resident to marry in Sonoma County? No, residency is not a requirement for marrying in Sonoma County.
- What are the fees for marriage licenses in California? The fee for a public marriage license is $82, and for a confidential license, it’s $98.