Greene County
Marriage Certificate Requirements

If you’re considering tying the knot in Greene County, Alabama, you’re in the right place. This comprehensive guide will take you through all the essential details of obtaining a marriage certificate at the Greene County Courthouse in Eutaw, Alabama. From age requirements to residency and waiting periods, we’ve got you covered.


The Greene County Courthouse, located at 400 Morrow Avenue, Eutaw, Alabama, is your destination for obtaining a marriage certificate. With operating hours from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday to Friday, this courthouse is here to help you navigate the marriage process with ease.

Marriage Certificate Basics

The Alabama Marriage Certificate serves as a contractual agreement between spouses and is completed by both parties. The marriage is considered valid once the certificate is properly completed, recorded, and submitted to the probate court for recording.

Age Requirements and Consent

For individuals aged 16 or 17, parental consent is required to enter into marriage. However, those aged 18 and over can apply for a marriage certificate without parental consent. This makes it accessible for young couples who are ready to take this significant step.

Same-Sex Marriage

Alabama recognizes same-sex marriage, providing equal opportunities for all couples to wed legally. This progressive stance ensures that everyone has the right to marry the person they love.

Waiting Period and Validity

In Alabama, there is generally no waiting period to get married, except for individuals who have recently been divorced. For those divorcing, a 60-day waiting period after the divorce is finalized is required. The marriage certificate is valid for 30 days from the date of being signed.

See also  Lowndes County Marriage Certificate Requirements

Blood Test and Residency

Unlike some states, Alabama does not require a premarital blood test. Additionally, you do not need to be a resident of Alabama to get married in the state, making it an attractive destination for couples from all over.

Witnesses and Solemnization

Unlike some jurisdictions, Alabama does not require witnesses for a marriage ceremony. Solemnization, once required, is no longer necessary for a recognized marriage in the state. This means that the emphasis is on the completion and submission of the marriage certificate.

The Alabama Marriage Certificate

Under Alabama Act 2019-340, the process of obtaining a marriage license has changed. Couples are no longer required to apply for a marriage license with the county probate court. Instead, they must complete and submit the standardized marriage certificate form.

Obtaining the Marriage Certificate Form

To obtain the marriage certificate form, you can visit the state’s official website, your county probate judge’s office, or even find it online. This accessibility streamlines the process for couples, ensuring easy access to the necessary documentation.

Notarization and Submission

After completing the form, both parties must have their signatures witnessed by a notary. Once the form is notarized, it should be delivered to the county Probate Judge’s office along with the applicable filing fee. The form must be submitted within 30 days of being signed.

Identification and Divorce Decree

To obtain a marriage certificate, you’ll need to provide identification, such as a valid driver’s license, non-driver’s license, passport, or a certified copy of your birth certificate. If you’ve been divorced, you must wait 60 days after the divorce is final before applying for a new marriage license.

See also  Hale County Marriage Certificate Requirements

Marriage Certificate Fee

The marriage certificate fee in Greene County is $78, and the preferred method of payment is cash. This fee covers the administrative costs associated with processing and recording your marriage certificate.

Name Change After Marriage

While obtaining a marriage certificate with your new name is a significant step, it’s important to note that this doesn’t automatically change your name on all documents. If you decide to change your last name, consider using an online marriage name change kit to help streamline the process.

Marriage Age Requirements

If you’re between the ages of 16 and 17, you can apply for a marriage certificate with the consent of a parent or guardian. Those aged 18 and over can apply independently, ensuring flexibility for couples of all ages.

Proxy, Cousin, and Common Law Marriages

Alabama does not allow proxy marriages, where one party can apply on behalf of the other. However, the state does permit first and second cousins to legally marry. Additionally, a valid common law marriage can be established when certain criteria are met.

Marriage Officiants

Solemnization is no longer a requirement for a recognized marriage in Alabama. This means that couples have the freedom to choose an officiant who aligns with their values and beliefs.

Expiration Date of Marriage Certificate

Once your marriage certificate is signed, it remains valid for 30 days from that date. The effective date of the marriage is determined by the dates of the spouses’ signatures, ensuring accuracy in documentation.

Obtaining a Copy of Marriage Certificate

In case you need a copy of your marriage certificate in the future, you can contact the Alabama Department of Public Health. The Bureau of Vital Statistics handles this process and can provide you with the necessary information.

See also  Cleburne County Marriage Certificate Requirements


The Greene County Courthouse in Eutaw, Alabama, is your gateway to a seamless marriage certificate application process. With clear guidelines on age requirements, waiting periods, and other essential details, couples can confidently embark on their journey to wedded bliss. Remember to always verify information with your local County Probate office before proceeding. Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!


  1. Q: How do I obtain the marriage certificate form? A: You can obtain the form from the state’s official website, your county probate judge’s office, or online.
  2. Q: Can I change my name after obtaining the marriage certificate? A: Yes, but getting a new name on your marriage certificate doesn’t automatically change your name on other documents.
  3. Q: Is there a waiting period to get married in Alabama? A: There’s generally no waiting period, except for individuals recently divorced, who must wait 60 days.
  4. Q: Can same-sex couples get married in Alabama? A: Yes, Alabama recognizes and supports same-sex marriage.
  5. Q: Are witnesses required for a marriage ceremony in Alabama? A: No, witnesses are not required for a marriage ceremony in Alabama.

Similar Posts